Friday, February 20, 2009

Coaches Meeting

The most recent event that I attended where civic concerns were discussed was at the coaches meeting held prior to the start of in-house basketball season. I am an assistant coach for my younger brothers tenth grade team and was required to sit in on this event. Although the topics discussed were not in any way life changing or monumental to the surrounding community, they did hold importance of the players, coaches, parents, and referees involved in the basketball league.

The meeting was held in the cafeteria of the local middle school, which I used to attend. Upon entering the front doors of the school, a million memories filled my head of when I was much younger and used to prowl these very hallways. After entering the cafeteria, which seemed much smaller than I remembered, I was handed a packet of rules and regulations and took my seat in one of the chairs I used to eat lunch in around a decade ago. The lights were very bright and I could hear them hum even over the light chatter of the accumulating attendants. The slight odor of ammonia could be noticed as the custodians were busy cleaning the floors in the hallway. Glancing around I felt slightly out of place since I was much younger than most of the other coaches in attendance. Most appeared to be parents who had a son playing in the league.

As the meeting began, the league director stood up in front of everybody in attendance and began reading over the rules and regulations, beginning with the changes from the previous year. There seemed to be a light tone in the room as some coaches often made jokes or comments back and forth with the league director. At the end of the meeting there was time to take comments or questions on the material presented. I was surprised when the directed allowed a change in the rules to allow players to put their last names on the jerseys. The players have seemed to enjoy this option.

9 comments:

  1. Good descriptions. I especially appreciated that you described what you heard (the hum of the lights) and smelled (the ammonia); those details helped engage more of my senses.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting. Good use of details, I felt the nostalgia with you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great descriptions! I really enjoyed reading your post!

    Jamie Groth

    ReplyDelete
  4. your article really held my attention and i liked reading it. Good job.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ditto the above comments, but I especially liked the observation that, while the issues discussed at the meeting might not be of monumental importance to the community-at-large, they certainly are important to the players and coaches. Nice touch.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I very much enjoyed the reminiscent touches to your post – especially about how the cafeteria seems so much smaller now than it used to when you were a student there. Very nice!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I know what you mean about feeling out of place among older people.

    ReplyDelete